I asked on my Facebook page what road-trip foods people liked. Tons of varied responses - from sit-down restaurants to picnics to snacks in the car. One of my favorites is homemade granola, whether on the road or hiking or topping your oatmeal for breakfast. Easy to make and easy to carry. This one has a little savory and a little sweet combo.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup nut-seed mix (walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, cashews, almonds, etc.)
- .5 cup dried fruit (figs, apples, goji berries, raisins, etc.)
- Orange zest (the more the merrier)
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2-3 teaspoons olive or melted coconut oil
- .5 teaspoon EACH of grated nutmeg, mace, Chinese Five Spice, vanilla extract
- 1.5 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon EACH cinnamon, honey, molasses
Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Then mix them together and ... spread on baking sheets or pans. Bake at 250 F for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.